Saturday, September 3, 2011

it's my party...


Well, the moment is upon me – my 25th birthday is tomorrow. While it’s not quite a ‘milestone’ birthday, it has long been a secretly dreaded age for me. Most of you are wondering why, & my parents would certainly look at me like I was crazy and mutter “but you’re so young!” While I’d grimace at them, I know that they’re right. While 18 year old Liz couldn’t imagine what being 25 would be like, I’m comfortable in saying that it has brought me to a good place. Maybe not a perfect place, but a place that I’m comfortable growing into. No, I’m not sure where I’ll be next year, what graduating from law school will bring, or what kind of job I’ll have (in my mind, it’s with some amazing real estate law firm with a desk that has a view). And while I may not be engaged like most of the girls I went to college with, and my hips may have gotten just a little bit wider, I’m learning to find the good in my mid-twenties. Graduation from law school? At least I’ll have a law degree! No job yet? Consider it an adventure! Not engaged? I’m lucky I have a boyfriend! Wider hips? Curves!

I have to admit, it’s an interesting place to be. It sounds so cliché to say I’ve grown wiser, and I’m not even sure it’s true. But I do think I’ve grown. And I do think I’m going in the right direction (let’s just pretend that direction is 5 years away from 30-I’m still getting used to 25!).

I hope you’ll join me for my days studying on Long Island, my weekends in New York City, and my traveling to my family in Pennsylvania (with some added adventures along the way). And no matter what your age, I hope you find a little part of yourself in my day-to-day doings. Mostly, I’m looking forward to learning more about all of you, and this thing that never goes away: growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment