Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Time

'Time makes you bolder, children get older, I'm getting older too...'-Fleetwood Mac

 I was listening to Stevie Nicks sing those all too familiar lyrics of 'Landslide' and I got to thinking about where I am in my life. The highs & lows. The accomplishments and failures. The painful heartaches and the strength of love. All of this in only 25 years. Isn't it a funny thing to realize all that you've gone through in only a quarter of a century? Only certain of one thing - and that's the unknown. Not being able to predict where the road is going to take you.

And here I am. I've been brought to this point by a series of lows. I've been kicked when I was down. I've watched my family hurt in ways that some won't ever know. I've doubted and cried and succumbed to all sorts of weaknesses. And here I am - here we are. We're still here. I'm mere months from the graduation of law school, I'm in a relationship with a man who loves me for all that I am and all that I'm not, and I'm the sister to a beautiful, strong woman who amazes me each and every day. 

I may have lost friends, I may have made mistakes, and I may have lost sight of what was important. But the passage of days, of this man-made notion of time, brought me here. So while I'm here, in this moment, I'm learning to appreciate what I've been given. 

And I'm making the most adult decision I've made all my life, and that's to let go of the anger. There's too much beautiful to surround with anger's dark clouds.



No comments:

Post a Comment